Re: Emacs 24 crashes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 24 crashes
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 18:34:52 +0300

> From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:04:19 +0200
>
> Emacs aborting itself is especially annoying when you have a setting
> with one Emacs daemon but lots of Emacs clients, i.e. when using WMs
> like tmux or stumpwm to manage the Emacs windows.

It is _always_ annoying.  At least Emacs auto-saves everything, so you
don't lose too much.

> > The way to find out why is to run Emacs under a debugger.  Then, when
> > Emacs aborts, the debugger will kick in, and you will be able to poke
> > around for reasons.
>
> That would be something like:

> | gdb run emacsd
>
> ?

No, I don't think so.  (emacsd is a shell script, right?)  The best
way is to start Emacs as you normally would, then find out the PID
(process ID) of the running Emacs process, and type "gdb -p PID" from
a shell prompt.  GDB will attach itself to Emacs; then, when GDB shows
its prompt, type "continue", hit Enter, and use Emacs as usual.