Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: Emacs: Problems of the Scratch Buffer
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:33:36 -0400

rusi <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> I'll try and restate what Xah is saying in less Xah-ish language.
>
> Emacs comes from a time when anyone who used a computer knew (about)
> programming.
> Today everyone uses a computer; so the programmers are the freaks.
>
> The scratch buffer is meaningful/useful/beautiful for those who can
> understand what it signifies that they can (re)program their editor.
>
> It is a stupid and meaningless irritation to those not so endowed.

That's less Xah-ish?

(Sorry Xah.)

Why did you find it necessary to use the words freaks and stupid?

When suggesting that someone else do work for you, it's best to not
start out with name calling.

What I think most of us are waiting for is constructive suggestions
about what to display when Emacs is started without a file name.

Isn't the "modern" way to do this is start with a buffer in fundamental
mode named "untitled-n" and if anything is typed in the buffer, save it
as "untitled-n"?  So a typical user would have a home directory
filled with "untitled-n" files?

I _don't_ think I would like that better than the current scratch buffer.

--
Dan Espen