Re: whitespace-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: whitespace-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:57:36 +0300

> Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 20:29:44 -0400
> From: Matt McClure <matthewlmcclure@gmail.com>
>
> When I turn on whitespace-mode in a buffer with word-wrap on, e.g., in
> visual-line-mode, lines become wrapped at the right edge of the window
> instead of word boundaries.
>
> How can I make whitespace visible and keep lines wrapped at word boundaries
> simultaneously?

Customize whitespace-display-mappings so that the whitespace
characters are displayed as themselves, instead of as fancy non-ASCII
glyphs.  (You will still have the faces to show the whitespace.)

For a better solution, please file a feature-request bug report, this
would require changes in the display engine.