Re: How to increase/decrease quote level in mail/usenet message?

From: Grant Edwards
Subject: Re: How to increase/decrease quote level in mail/usenet message?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:11:16 +0000 (UTC)

On 2012-04-27, XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <invalid@invalid.invalid> writes:
>
>> The other text editors I've used for editing email and nntp messages
>> (and most of the GUI mail/news programs) all had commands to
>> increase/decrease the quote level for a selected block of text.  I use
>> emacs for editing source code and almost all other tasks, but I
>> haven't been able to switch to using it as my mail/usenet editor
>> because I've never been able to find the command in mail-mode or
>> message-mode to increase/decrease the quote level for a block of text.
>
> Just curious: Why would need that?

To fix messages that have been broken by people who don't know how to
quote.

>> My fingers are programmed to do "ctrl-C >" and "ctrl-C <" to
>> increase/decrease indentation/quoting, but that doesn't work. Nor does
>> there appear to be anything under the mail/message menus.  I've tried
>> all the command names I can think of but auto-complete never finds
>> anything.
>>
>> I must be missing something obvious.
>>
>> In mail or message mode, how do you increase/decrease the quote level
>> of a region?
>
> M-;  In case you want more options, do C-h k M-;

Ah.  It never occurred to me (and never would have) to look for
commands starting with "comment-".  I looked for indent, quote, level,
increase, decrease, and about five other keywords. I have absolutely
no clue why a command to increase/decrease a quote level would be
called "comment-dwim".

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I want a VEGETARIAN
                                  at               BURRITO to go ... with