Re: emacs set marker behavior

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: emacs set marker behavior
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 14:44:58 -0500

Die Tue May 01 2012 08:06:03 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Yuan Luo
<yuan.hypnos.luo@gmail.com> scripsit:

> Hi,
> I am annoyed by the behavior that out of a sudden emacs set marker on
> current cursor point and if I go to the end of line or go to the end of
> buffer, it selects the regions and by the time I type, that region is
> cut & gone!
>
> I want to change its behavior so unless I press Ctrl+@, emacs never sets
> marker itself, how do I do that?
>
> Best,
> Yuan

You mean mark instead of marker, right?
Is this using mouse in console? See gpm-mouse-mode. Also
delete-selection-mode.
Then, you could substitute the "nomark" flavors of many functions for
their "mark" varieties where appropriate.