Re: EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics

From: Johnny
Subject: Re: EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 19:40:20 +0100

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:
> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

>> Lyrics seem possible, but quite complex to set up for fetching from the
>> net, so I will be satisfied with usimg emms and ncmpcpp in parallell
>> (and ario for a graphical front end for visitors who don't like the
>> cli) to interface mpd.
>
> M-x emms-lyrics-visit-lyric will try to search from some internet
> location (http://search.lyrics.astraweb.com) if lyrics are not present
> locally.  But it seems the location is not accessiable any more..  Maybe
> you can take a look at ncmpcpp and added it to emms-lyrics-visit-lyric,
> and sumbit a patch. :)

Yes, it is probably possible to customize this in some way. What I like
with ncmpcpp way is that it tries several sites for lyrics before giving
up. Unfortunately my lisp skills are abysmal and it is a challenge every
time I need to customize a simple variable, so a patch provided by
myself is a utopia...

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>> 3. It got out of sync with mpd. I control mpd through emacs, the command
>>    line, and my window manager, and I found that emms wouldn't notice
>>    when I changed the playlist or playstate through a different
>>    interface. That sort of defeated the purpose! (I would be curious to
>>    hear if this happens to you as well.)
>
> FWIW, I think I managed to fix at least some of these issues with EMMS
> and mpd. I've submitted the changes, but unfortunately they were never
> applied. It seems EMMS is barely maintained at the moment. I still have
> them around somewhere, so I can dig them up if necessary.

Unfortunately, this is the feeling I got as well that emms is somewhat
out of date and not actively maintained. It seems all the stuff is there
but it needs some tweaking to get all the way and it is hard to find any
digestable beginners info, although the manual goes some way.

> I started off with EMMS and was happy with it at first, but eventually
> ditched it because:
>
> 1. I was only using it for music, none of the other multimedia things.
> 2. I had 32 lines of customization, just to listen to music.
> 3. It got out of sync with mpd. I control mpd through emacs, the command
>    line, and my window manager, and I found that emms wouldn't notice
>    when I changed the playlist or playstate through a different
>    interface. That sort of defeated the purpose! (I would be curious to
>    hear if this happens to you as well.)

I haven't seens this as an issue yet as i haven't got a very good setup
yet, but if I edit the playlist in ncmpcpp the emms playlist must be
manually udated to reflect this, if this is what you mean with out of
sync.

> I'm liking Mingus: it only does music, which is all I want, and it stays
> aware of the global state of mpd (a 'g' is usually all it takes). I
> don't like the browsing interface as well as EMMS (it's too tied to the
> filesystem structure of your music library), but with ido-mode on it's
> not bad at all.

I have seen mingus mentioned and got a copy to test.

I read your discussion on the stumpwm list on mpd setup and have played
around to achieve something similar. I haven't been very successful
integrating mpd and stumpwm though and would be curious to understand
your setup better. I currently use ncmpcpp and alsamixer bound to shortcuts for
fast access, but as I mentioned in the original post, my main issue with
ncmpcpp is that the keybindings are just awful.

Emacs to create and edit playlists (and possibly tags and view lyrics)
and stumpwm directly for play, pause, fwd, etc. would be great!

--
Johnny