Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings

From: Dan Espen
Subject: Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 11:57:43 -0400

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On May 25, 3:24 pm, Thad Floryan <t...@thadlabs.com> wrote:

>> > Xah wrote:
>> >  «Here's a new thing i've learned. Normally, it's a good advice to
>> > press combination keys using both hands. That is, suppose you want to
>> > press【Ctrl+x】. You should use right hand to hold right Ctrl and left
>> > hand to press x. But if you are a touch typer and leave your hand in
>> > standard position, so you press the x with 4th finger. That'll cause a
>> > major problem if done often.»
>> > [...]
>>
>> Which is why sane people remap [Caps Lock] to be another [Ctrl].
>>
>> For Emacs on Windows [Win2K-SP4, WinXP-SP3, Vista-SP2, Win7-SP1]:
>>
>>    Details:
>>
>>        <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897578.aspx>
>>
>>    Program:
>>
>>        <http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Ctrl2Cap.zip>
>>
>> For *BSD, Linux, Solaris and UNIX systems, use xkeycaps to create an
>> input file for xmodmap [xmodmap is part of all X distributions]:
>>
>>     xkeycaps: <http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/>
>>
>> or use the user preferences [depending on the distro or desktop] to
>> make the [Caps Lock] be another [Ctrl].
>
> Thad Floryan, is it? did i get ur name right?
>
> Perhaps you'd be interested in reading my one hundred and twenty three
> essays about why you shouldn't do that?

Perhaps you should read more carefully.

Thad remapped Caps Lock to ANOTHER Ctrl.
He didn't SWAP anything.

When I want all uppercase,
Emacs is fully capable of uppercasing as much typing as I need.

I don't need or want a Caps Lock key anywhere on my keyboard.

You'll need to create another write up that explains why
we can't live without CAPS LOCK.

--
Dan Espen