Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: a key system to replace gnu emacs's 1000 default keybindings
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 16:18:52 +0200

"B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:

> I don't have any. I need someone from geekhack to make me one based
> loosely on the symbolics space cadet. The Kinesis Advantage seems to
> have the most impressive videoclips of speed typing but theres too much
> unused real estate on it for my tastes.

The Kinesis Advantage keyboard is narrower than an standard PC keyboard
actually. Some people sticks a touchpad on the middle gap.

And for speed typing, one thing to consider is that the Kinesis makes
you a touch typist (and a fast one) without you noticing. It just
happens. You need some training, though. Maybe two or three hours with
the exercises that comes with the keyboard, and then proceed mindfully
until your muscle memory adapts.

> Does anyone here use it and, if
> so, what have the keys been reprogrammed to?

On the left side, swapped Ctrl <-> BackSpace and Alt <-> Delete. This
puts Ctrl and Meta right below your left thumb, which makes Emacs' C-
and M- combinations much more convenient.

The rest of my customizations are related to my coding style, but in any
case a good idea is to move CapsLock away (to `Esc', for instance) and
use it for something sensible.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated to Kinesis.

[snip]