Re: Copy/paste issue.

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Copy/paste issue.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 09:53:07 -0400

In article <jq19dp$1pj$4@reader1.panix.com>,
 dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

> In article <mailman.731.1336377127.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Yaoyuan  <yaoyuan0329@gmail.com> wrote:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >
> >oh.. I like it, the delete-selection-mode. it has the same behaviour with
> >other editors. thanks David
> >
> >Thanks
> >YaoYuan
> >

> Well, emacs is what I use 99% of the time, other than vi (or :Q --> ex).
>
> So I'm not really too sure just what everyone's talking about, even in
> followups to my question.

The basic idea is that if you mark a region before performing an
operation that would normally insert or delete something, you're
indicating that you really wanted to replace the region with it.

It's pretty much the way almost every traditional GUI text editor or
word processor works.  If all you've ever used have been Unix
character-oriented text editors, then you won't recognize the behavior.

You asked for the "uses" of this mode, and it's mainly just to act like
other applications that most people have become used to.

Here's an example.  If you want to cut or copy region-1, then use it to
replace region-2, you'd normally have to do one of the following:

Mark region-2
C-w
Mark region-1
C-w or M-w
C-y

or

Mark region-1
C-w or M-w
Mark region-2
C-w
C-y M-y or C-2 C-y

With delete-selection-mode, you can simplify it:

Mark region-1
C-w or M-w
Mark region-2
C-y