Re: line numbers

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: line numbers
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 15:55:29 +0200

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Mark Skilbeck <m@iammark.us> wrote:
> Adding to the previous reply suggesting line-number-mode, there are
> also packages that show line-numbers *in the buffer* to which people
> coming from outside Emacs are familiar. Depending on your Emacs
> version, you may have the Linum package already installed. If so, M-x
> linum-mode will interest you. Otherwise, you can find it on the
> internet[1].

A caveat. As far as I know linum mode shows line numbers using overlays.
This can be very expensive if the file is large (e.g. a log file, a
journal file etc). If possible I would advice the OP to adapt to not
using in-buffer line numbers and rely on line-number-mode for line
numbers on the mode line instead.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu