Emacs Remote Python Interpreters

From: Matt McClure
Subject: Emacs Remote Python Interpreters
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 16:57:09 -0400

I'd like to use Emacs as my IDE for a Python project as follows:

1. Emacs running on a Mac host machine.
2. Python running on a Linux guest VM.
3. A single copy of the code shared between the host and guest
machines via NFS or VirtualBox shared folder.

Emacs on the host machine would use the guest VM's Python interpreter
for all execution, including code completion and debugging. I imagine
using directory-local variables to configure a remote Python
interpreter and a mapping between the respective host and guest
filesystem path prefixes.

What I'm looking for is pretty similar to [PyCharm's remote python
interpreters][1]. Has anyone built something similar for Emacs, for
Python environments or for any other language? I built a little
[prototype][2], but it's just a toy so far.

[1]:
http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/webhelp/configuring-remote-python-interpreters.html
[2]: https://github.com/matthewlmcclure/emacs-remote-python

--