How to properly parse a buffer into a list ?

From: Philippe M . Coatmeur
Subject: How to properly parse a buffer into a list ?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:15:37 +0000

Hi ; I have this perl-script that prints email elements separated by
the string : "|_|".

When I start-process-shell-command it I get a buffer containing my
elements, and I then parse this buffer using this function :

(defun buffer-to-list (buf)
  "Make & return a list (of lists) LINES from lines in a buffer BUF"
  (with-current-buffer buf
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (let ((lines '()))
        (while (not (eobp))
          (push
           (split-string
            (buffer-substring (point) (point-at-eol)) "\|_\|")
           lines)
          (beginning-of-line 2))
        lines))))

Problem is, this function moves in terms of lines (it puts evey single
line in a list cell), but my elements can easily span over several
lines, and I'd still wouldlike one such element to be a single list
cell..? I'm trying to simplify it to ignore the notion of line, and
just search for the separator string, like this :

  (with-current-buffer buf
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (let ((cells '()))
      (while (not (eobp))
        (push
         (buffer-substring (point) (re-search-forward "|_|"))
         cells))
      cells))

But it always returns "string not found" (when I explicitly run
(re-search-forward "|_|") in said buffer it founds it) so apparently
I'm not positioning the point where it should be, so my question
really is : What is the mecanics of search-looping through elements
between a separator string ?

Philippe