mouse and update 23.4 -> 24.1

From: Allin Cottrell
Subject: mouse and update 23.4 -> 24.1
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 14:58:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have one problem after updating from GNU Emacs 23.4 to 24.1.

I like to be able to initiate a mouse-drag to select text starting at the left margin, without having to worry about whether the pointer is in the "fringe" or not. In 23.4 I could get this behavior by putting this line into ~/.emacs:

(global-set-key [left-fringe down-mouse-1] 'mouse-drag-region)

In version 24.1, though, sometimes when I mouse-down to start a drag on the left I get a popup menu ("tool bar" and "Menu bar") and the text area loses focus. I have no need for that popup and would like to get rid of it if possible. Thanks for any help.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics