Re: Adding bracket tags to sgml-mode

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Adding bracket tags to sgml-mode
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:47:08 -0600

On 6/18/12 8:50 PM, Chris Hardee wrote:
I'm working with a CMS system that uses custom bracket tags, ie
{example}...*html stuff*...{/example}; unfortunately, sgml-mode
doesn't recognize them and doesn't indent properly. I'm wondering if
there is a simple way to extend sgml-mode to include these tags or if
I need to create a separate mode. Any way to point me in the right
direction would be appreciated, thanks!

If you put point immediately before < and > in sgml-mode, what does
`C-u C-x =' report in the *Help* buffer?

Compare that to the information when point is immediately before { and }.

If sgml-mode uses syntax categories to parse tags, then perhaps you can
customize it to treat { and } like < and >.

(I tried nxml-mode, but it's a bit clunky and overkill for what I'm
hoping to do. I'll go with it if it's the only practical option
though)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA