Re: Highlighting current window

From: Christopher Grubert
Subject: Re: Highlighting current window
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:48:39 -0400

On 06/30/2012 09:22 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
I use ... the hl-line+ package which gives current line
highlighting but only in the active window....
I also use a fairly innocuous line highlighting color
(:background "#222") so that it doesn't really conflict...,
but still draws attention to where I am.  It draws your
attention to the exact line you're on as opposed to just
the window you're in, but I've found that useful.
Thanks for mentioning hl-line+, Chris.  There is also crosshairs.el, which
extends hl-line+ by adding a vertical line through point.  So it is easy to see
where the cursor is (e.g. when you move your attention to another window).
Typically you use the crosshairs display temporarily.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CrosshairHighlighting

Yes, I use that as well. I've found that it is slow to refresh and creates a flickering effect when typing so I have it bound to a function key and don't normally leave it turned on. It is useful at times when you want to see where you are in relation to some location on another line (typically when setting up rectangular operations). I didn't mention it here because I don't leave it on and use it to identify point like I do with hl-line which is what the OP was after, but yes, it's a nice complementary package.
Chris.