Re: Blank spacers problem

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Blank spacers problem
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:57:00 +0200

Dieter Britz <dieterhansbritz@gmail.com> writes:

> I have a Fortran program, which echoes a table of input
> parameters. The emacs source looks like this:
>
>   print '(" Nth, Nga                =", 2i10)', Nth, Nga
>   print '(" mth, mGa, deriv windows =", 2i10)', mth, mGa
>   print '(" dT, nT, Tmax            =", f10.3, i10, f10.2)', dT, nT, nT*dT
>   print '(" Blob radius R0          =", f12.1)', R0
>   print '(" S0                      =", f10.3)', S0
>   print '(" P0                      =", f10.3)', P0
>   print '(" mu                      =", f10.3)', mu
>   print '(" KM                      =", f10.3)', KM
>

> - on screen, that is. I work under Suse 12.1 and have what I think is
> a pretty up to date version of emacs. The problem is that the equal
> sign characters are not positioned as they appear on screen, but have
> various positions, so the output is staggered instead of being lined up.

Do I get it right that the program looks exactly like above when viewed
in emacs, but when you run it, the output doesn't line up?

If so, then the problem could be that your shell uses a proportional
font (i.e., a font where a T uses up more space than, say, an i), or
that the blank space between the identifiers and = uses tabs instead of
spaces, and your shell happens to use a different tab-width than emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo