Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: James Freer
Subject: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 23:22:01 +0100

I'm just learning about emacs and currently use Alpine for mail.
Mainly due to it's speed; i gave up with Thunderbird and Evolution as
they're too slow for imap... Mutt i did get it set up but it's too
configurable for my liking.

As i'm only after something simple i was thinking about Rmail. Since i
last read the wiki (a while back now) it would appear that Rmail has
been improved for Emacs 23 & 24 being much better for imap and
offering conversation threads.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Rmail

But reading the info i've got a bit confused - one place it says use
MailMode and another use Fetchmail and Sendmail [also one's  got
Postfix, Exim, Courier to choose from]. What is best?

Instructions are a bit more straightforward for VM and Gnus.

I'd be grateful if someone could put me right on setting up Rmail, and
perhaps if someone has experimented with all three give their
feedback. Basically i want to try each and decide which i'd prefer.
Starting to use emacs as my editor it seems appropriate to use a mail
client within it.

thanks
james