Re: Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps lines at apo

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Emacs sporadically gets into a state in which M-q wraps lines at apostrophes
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 23:16:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, 6 July 2012 00:32:21 UTC+8, Matt McClure  wrote:

> I notice that the value of adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp is:

> I'm suspicious of its including `'`, but changing its value by
> removing the `\\'` doesn't make the text wrap as I expect.

\\' is special syntax meaning end of line.

Does some other package that you load at some time during your Emacs session
alter adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp or adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp?
Perhaps something is stripping one or both \ characters which would result in
the ' being interpreted literally by the regexp engine?