Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 23:25:57 -0500

Die Sat Jul 07 2012 00:43:59 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) C K
Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> scripsit:

> Dear Emacs friends,
>
> I need some tips for quick jumping around. As in, say I'm editing a line
> and need to go up a couple of paragraphs to edit something and then
> resume at my original position.
> The way I used to accomplish this in Vi was using mm to mark the current
> position into m register and then go somewhere and come back by pressing 'm
>
> Now, I know that in emacs I can do it using C-x-r-<SPC> to mark a
> position into a register and then jump back to it usng C-x-r-j ... is
> there a better way? Rather, what's a better way?
>
> Regards,
> Kashyap

It might seem hokey to you,  but the fastest way to navigate is usually
via  C-s and C-r. If your need is as simple as you describe it, just
type your bookmark directly into the text (even in the middle of a word,
wherever the cursor happens to be, e.g.: bbb or zzz. Then move to where
you will edit with C-s or C-r and press enter (that leaves the cursor on
the next character after (or next before with C-r) the search string in
the minibuffer). Make your edit and then C-s or C-r back to bbb or zzz
and delete it. Doing it this way makes use of only the simplest
commands, the ones you use hundreds or thousands of times a day.

Ed

p.s. If isearch-recursive-edit variable worked then there might be a
more elegant way to search, move, edit, return to start of search.