Re: Setting mark in minibuffer prompt

From: Whitfield Diffie
Subject: Re: Setting mark in minibuffer prompt
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:54:14 -0700

> IIUC, you want point to remain after the inserted `default-directory', and you
> want mark at some position to the left of that.  ...

    You did understand correctly and the code you sent seems to solve
the problem.  The essential point I didn't understand was the need to
use the minibuffer-setup-hook.  Many thanks.

    Virtue being its own punishment, I am enclosing a related question
I asked almost exactly two years ago in case the answer is equally
simple

   If I type (read-string "Prompt: ") I can line edit the typein with
<crtl-a>, <ctrl-b>, <ctrl-k>, etc.  If I type (read-passwd "Prompt: ")
the only characters that are not merely absorbed into the string are
<ctrl-u> and either of the delete-backwards characters.  Does anyone
know how to get the cursor to come out in the right place as I back up
down the row of dots that read-passwd echoes?

    I realize it is not obvious what use this would be.  Don't trust
me; I have something up my sleeve.

            Many thanks,

                            Whit

    I have attached the code I wrote to do this but I am not happy
with the technique because I had to insert the cursor ``by hand.''
Unfortunately what is attached is rather long because it is not an
example; it implements a line editor.

                     Very gratefully,

                                                Whit