Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 22:50:46 +0100

Hi Filipp

I much appreciated your reply but i'm still struggling with some
basics hence why i haven't replied earlier. Reading the emacs.pdf i am
hoping to set up Rmail 'remotely' - that is [as i understand it like i
have Alpine... using imap i am just using the email client to 'look'
straight at the server without downloading headers or the entire
message - use two machines so downloading mail doesn't seem the right
approach. Basically avoiding the adverts from the webmail interface
and hopefully a little customising to my liking and having a full
screen for reading mail. I hope to use the trmail [thread messages]
programme listed on Emacswiki.

While stating about movemail in synaptic Xubuntu 10.04 [hoping to get
this sorted out before i upgrade!] there is mailutils and
mailutils-imap4d (this i think is the one i need to use for virtual
mail domains which i think is what gmail is).

On 5 July 2012 07:19, Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> James Freer <jessejazza@gmail.com> writes:

>> I wanted to try each of them but does anyone use Rmail? if not why
>> not? As i mentioned in the first post it does seem to have had a
>> revamp recently as it was claimed it copes with conversation threads.
>
> I recently tried Rmail and it turned out that it is what I want. I was a
> Gnus user for some time (and still use it for reading news) - it is
> actually not hard at all to setup it for imap (just remember to use
> secondary select methods for everything!). But Rmail is much more
> convenient for me.

what do you mean with 'secondary select methods for everything'

> I use fetchmail to get mail from my IMAP server (I like keeping
> everything local because of access speed and because this way I have a
> single place of storage even with multiple remote accounts). My
> ~/.fetchmailrc looks like this:

Exim is listed as a dependency with mailutils, can that be used?

> poll <server> protocol imap authenticate password username <username>
> password <password> ssl folder INBOX mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
>
> Then simply M-x rmail.
>
> I have also patched Rmail a little to render HTML mail with emacs-w3m (I
> didn't find a standard way to render HTML in Rmail).
>
> --
> Filipp Gunbin

sorry if i seem lacking but i don't find the emacswiki or the
emacs.pdf easy to interpret.

thanks
james