Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 10:59:33 +0800

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM, C K Kashyap <ckkashyap@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Emacs friends,

I need some tips for quick jumping around. As in, say I'm editing a line and need to go up a couple of paragraphs to edit something and then resume at my original position.

I find registers hard to use.  Here is a thread I started a while back singing the virtues of session.el:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2011-01/msg00758.html

it allows you to jump through all locations in the buffer were you've made a change in reverse chronological order.

I've written jump-char https://github.com/lewang/jump-char to quickly to quickly go to occurrences of a char close by.  Jump-char integrates with ace-jump-mode https://github.com/winterTTr/ace-jump-mode/ , which is better if there are lots of occurrences.

The only time I actually use registers is while recording a macro.

HTH.

--
Le