Re: Preloading TAGS and completion table (resend)

From: XeCycle
Subject: Re: Preloading TAGS and completion table (resend)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:07:21 +0800

"Ludwig, Mark" <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> writes:

> [Sorry, resending in plain text]
>
> I use Emacs to maintain a large software system (>10,000,000
> lines of code).  We have multiple releases in the field under
> active maintenance (plus the next release under development).  I
> have cron jobs that make TAGS daily (overnight) because it takes
> hours to read the entire source in the multiple release source
> branches.  Each TAGS file per branch is over 40MB.  I run an
> instance of Emacs per release branch, because we use ClearCase,
> so the "same file name" potentially has different contents
> depending on the view (i.e., can't use Emacs Server across
> releases).
>
> When I want to use tag completion, it takes about a minute for
> Emacs to construct the completion table.

(By TAGS I assume you're using etags completion)
Have you tried gtags?  I tried it in Linux kernel source, and it
gives completion list beginning with two letters in roughly 0.1
secs.  The time may vary, but I think it should be able to give
you the list in seconds.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University