Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth

From: Edward at Work
Subject: Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:04:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, July 6, 2012 10:43:59 PM UTC-7, C K Kashyap wrote:
> Dear Emacs friends,

> I need some tips for quick jumping around. As in, say I&#39;m editing a line
> and need to go up a couple of paragraphs to edit something and then resume at
> my original position. </div>
>
> The way I used to accomplish this in Vi was using mm to mark the current
> position into m register and then go somewhere and come back by pressing
> &#39;m</div>

> Now, I know that in emacs I can do it using C-x-r-&lt;SPC&gt; to mark a
> position into a register and then jump back to it usng C-x-r-j ... is there a
> better way? Rather, what&#39;s a better way?</div>

> Regards,</div>
> Kashyap</div>

The simplest solution, provided you know ahead of time you're coming back, is
to 1) set the mark (C-space) (set-mark-command), 2) Go do what you need to do
wherever you need to do it, & finally 3) return by exchanging the point (where
you are) with the mark (C-x C-x) (exchange-point-and-mark).

Edward