Re: emacs compiled with --with-ns doesn't find installed libraries

From: Alp Aker
Subject: Re: emacs compiled with --with-ns doesn't find installed libraries
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 20:23:38 -0400

> I compile GNU emacs 24.1.1 for X and it finds most of my installed image
> libraries (png, gif, jpeg), at /usr/local.
>
> If I compile with --with-ns, it does not find any of them. However, I can
> nevertheless view, e.g., .png files in emacs.app. Should I be worried that
> the configure script says it couldn't find these libraries?

The NS port uses the Cocoa framework for image support; it doesn't
need the image libraries you have in /usr/local.

> Another oddity is that neither configure script finds my dbus installation,
> which is at /usr/local like all my image libraries. When I was using
> macports, dbus was found. Has anyone experienced this, or know how I can get
> the configure script to locate dbus?

You can tell the configure script where to look for libraries (and
header files, etc.) by setting the appropriate environment variable
when you run it.  See 'configure --help' for details.  (As for why the
macports build found dbus: it might have installed a version of dbus
in /opt/local/include and used that.)