Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Tips for quick jumping back and forth
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 07:02:58 -0600

On 7/7/12 8:44 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2012-07-07, Francesco Mazzoli<f@mazzo.li>  wrote:

I use `C-<SPC>  C-<SPC>' to set the mark, and `C-u C-<SPC>' to jump back. No
registers involved.

I occasionally do something stupid like hit the wrong keystroke, usually
C-e, which puts me at the end of the line.  I was somewhat sure there
was an equally simple keystroked to return me to where I once was
where.  NO!?  If not, I'm bummed.  I thought emacs was "powerful".
Seems a simple function.  And by GOD, can't let vi outdo on this!

buffer-undo-list can record the position before the inadvertant command
so that C-x u would move you back, but the movement commands don't take
advantage of that feature.

C-h v buffer-undo-list:
An entry of the form POSITION indicates that point was at the buffer
location given by the integer.  Undoing an entry of this form places
point at POSITION.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA