Issues with gdb -i=mi

From: William M. (Mike) Miller
Subject: Issues with gdb -i=mi
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:34:42 -0400

I've recently upgraded to emacs 24.0.96.1 (the latest available on
Cygwin), which changed the gdb interface from --annotate to -i=mi.
(I'm using gdb 7.3.50.20111026-cvs (cygwin-special), also, the
latest available.)  This has caused a couple of issues with the
information that appears in the gud interaction buffer.

If, for example, I step through my program by typing the "n"
command and hitting RETURN repeatedly, each step echoes the
text of the source line in the buffer, just as if I were using gdb
directly in an xterm.  That doesn't happen if I click the mouse on
the "next" graphical button, which is an acceptable alternative.

However, if I use the graphical button for "run" or "continue," when
I hit a breakpoint the current function (including parameter values)
is not displayed in the gud interaction buffer.  To get that to display,
I have to type "run" or "c" in the buffer instead of using the
graphical button.

Can this be fixed with some configuration settings, or is it a bug
that (hopefully) will be fixed when more recent versions of emacs
and/or gdb become available?

--
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
william.m.miller@gmail.com