Re: Selection region and delete

From: Juha Nieminen
Subject: Re: Selection region and delete
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 07:16:09 +0000 (UTC)

jpkotta <jpkotta@gmail.com> wrote:
> <delete> is bound to delete-forward-char by default.  The help for
> that command mentions the delete-active-region variable.  It only
> has an effect if transient mark mode is enabled, and it sounds like
> you want it set to t (t is the default).  I couldn't see the
> difference between activating and deactivating delete-selection-mode
> either.

When I try to do a describe-variable on delete-active-region, it says
"no match" (and likewise while writing the name of said variable if I try
to autocomplete it with the tab key, it doesn't find it).

If I add a "(setq delete-active-region t)" to my .emacs file, it has no
effect. (Now describe-variable says that its value is t, but has no
documentation on it.)

Btw, I notice that I failed to mention the version of emacs in my original
post. It's full version is listed as

GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.7)
 of 2011-10-30 on build17

I have been fighting with this problem for two days now. If I can't find
a solution, I think the only solution left is to get and build an older
version of emacs. It would be nicer if I had not to do that (because I would
have to bypass OpenSuse's package management) and if the problem were fixable
with just a magic line in .emacs.