Re: Selection region and delete

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Selection region and delete
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:39:55 +0200

Am 24.07.2012 um 09:23 schrieb Juha Nieminen:

> I don't know how to set said variable from the buffer. If I type
> M-x set-variable (enter) delete-selection-mode, it won't let me.
> (It just says "[No match]".)

Help from my GNU Emacsen 23.3 and 23.4:

        delete-selection-mode is a variable defined in `delsel.el'.
        Its value is t

        Documentation:
        Non-nil if Delete-Selection mode is enabled.
        See the command `delete-selection-mode' for a description of this minor
mode.
        Setting this variable directly does not take effect;
        either customize it (see the info node `Easy Customization')
        or call the function `delete-selection-mode'.

        You can customize this variable.

Have you tried to build it yourself? Maybe Novell/Suse have decided to
distribute something castrated that vaguely resembles GNU Emacs. Does delsel.el
or delsel.elc exist in your system?

Are you performing your tests without init files loaded?

I actually don't remember that I ever erased selected regions with delete. I am
using often delete-region, which does not put useless text into the kill-ring.
And also do not have anything set in my init files containing the strings
"delete" or "select" that can be related to selected regions and deleting them.
Cua-mode is interfering. Although I have other reasons to switch it off.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Hard Disk, n.:
        A device that allows users to delete vast quantities of data with
simple mnemonic commands.