Re: Issues with gdb -i=mi

From: William M. (Mike) Miller
Subject: Re: Issues with gdb -i=mi
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:24:36 -0400

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:34 AM, William M. (Mike) Miller
<william.m.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently upgraded to emacs 24.0.96.1 (the latest available on
> Cygwin), which changed the gdb interface from --annotate to -i=mi.
> (I'm using gdb 7.3.50.20111026-cvs (cygwin-special), also, the
> latest available.)  This has caused a couple of issues with the
> information that appears in the gud interaction buffer.
>
> If, for example, I step through my program by typing the "n"
> command and hitting RETURN repeatedly, each step echoes the
> text of the source line in the buffer, just as if I were using gdb
> directly in an xterm.  That doesn't happen if I click the mouse on
> the "next" graphical button, which is an acceptable alternative.
>
> However, if I use the graphical button for "run" or "continue," when
> I hit a breakpoint the current function (including parameter values)
> is not displayed in the gud interaction buffer.  To get that to display,
> I have to type "run" or "c" in the buffer instead of using the
> graphical button.
>
> Can this be fixed with some configuration settings, or is it a bug
> that (hopefully) will be fixed when more recent versions of emacs
> and/or gdb become available?

Just curious whether the silence on this is because no one else
is experiencing these symptoms (which gives me hope that they've
been fixed and will eventually trickle down to Cygwin) or whether
people are seeing the same thing and it just doesn't bother them.
I can certainly live with typing the commands for run, step, and
continue and using the mouse for "next," but it would be nicer if I
could use either the gud interaction buffer or the graphical buttons.

--
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
william.m.miller@gmail.com