Re: vc-git-state very slow, waiting for `git diff-index`, in large repos

From: Matt McClure
Subject: Re: vc-git-state very slow, waiting for `git diff-index`, in large repositories
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:24:03 -0400

Hi Dmitry,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:
I'd recommend timing 'git diff-index -z HEAD -- <file>' vs 'git status
--short <file>' vs 'git status -z --porcelain <file>' in the console on
your real repository and posting the numbers to the bug 8288.
And maybe contributing an example patch that works for you. The function
responsible for this is `vc-git-state'.

Both `git diff-index` and `git status` were comparably slow at least to my subjective perception. After archiving old branches and a garbage clean -- `git tag`, `git branch -d`, `git gc` -- both perform fast enough again. For the time being, I think I retract my earlier belief that I was seeing the same thing as described in bug 8288.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

--
Matt McClure