Using multiple syntax-table's for cloned buffer

From: Felipe Magno de Almeida
Subject: Using multiple syntax-table's for cloned buffer
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 13:52:00 -0300

Hello,

I'm trying to write a elisp package which would allow me to use a
cloned buffer with Proof General which is composed (other parts would
be considered comments and be invisible) of comments of a cc-mode
buffer.

I've tried cloning the buffer and modifying the text-property for
'syntax-table at the places I wanted to modify Proof General to
understand the buffer, so it would see everything that is C or C++
code as comments. This works, but the cc-mode starts seeing them as
comments too and end-up conflicting with each other. This is because,
IIUC, text properties are actually "like text" and are shared between
buffers.

I'm thinking about advicing put/add-propert* and get-propert* to be
buffer local somehow for the 'syntax-table in the Proof General cloned
buffer. Would this be a bad idea? Anybody would have a better idea?
I'm not a emacs expert.

Thanks in advance,
--
Felipe Magno de Almeida