Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: Jeremiah Dodds
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 15:21:04 -0400

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> On Fri, Aug 03 2012, James Freer wrote:
>
>> I just want something as easy as Thunderbird or similar to set up -
>> just enter in the pop/imap and smtp bits... then use.
>
> No problem with Gnus: just accept the default settings.

Funnily enough, it took me a couple failed attempts and quite a bit of
gathering emacs experience to be able to set up gnus (mostly for email)
easily. When I did it, I was like "wait, that's all I needed to do? WTF
was wrong with me before?" Of course, I couldn't remember wtf was wrong
with me before.

That said, I'm not sure how gnus compares to GUI clients wrt speed, but
it's certainly not regarded as a "speedy" mail reader...

--
Jeremiah Dodds

github     : https://github.com/jdodds
freenode   : exhortatory