.emacs not loading .el library

From: drain
Subject: .emacs not loading .el library
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 15:36:28 -0700 (PDT)

My .emacs has been a series of load commands for a while now, e.g.,

(load "~/where/my/miscellaneous/configs/are.el")
(load "~/where/my/macro/configs/are.el")
(load "~/where/my/keybinding/configs/are.el")

I have eight of these located in the same directory, and wanted to load them
all with one line of code in my .emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/my/lisp/library")

But emacs just opens to the tutorial splash screen, a clear indication that
this failed.