Re: moving in js

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: moving in js
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:19:32 +0200

Am 09.08.2012 18:44, schrieb João Távora:
Not exactly, as common words don't nest, but similar. Will you ever get an
error from "forward-word" unless at the EOB?

No, because words don't nest :-) Lisp sexp's do (as do many other programming
language constructs)

a second invocation would reach "foo"

Then, on the second invocation, backward-sexp would not have "moved backward
across one balanced expression", as its doc states.

hmm, so let's ask what such a balanced expression should be.

If we have the terminus of balanced expression, what will be the non-balanced?

A single operator for example "+"

while "4 + 5" might establish a balanced one. Agreed?

Single words and symbols also are not balanced expressions IMO.

When on ba|z

(foo (bar ba|z) quux)

C-M-b would reach |baz

(foo (bar |baz) quux)

i.e, it would do backward-word
a repeat would do backward-word again, a third would error

Can't see any relation to stipulated move over balanced expression here.

Looks fairly arbitrary.

CC to help, as it might be of some interest for others to.

I think you might be looking for "scan-lists", it lets you move whithin the same
level and pop out and in of lists. Uses the syntax tables. I used it in
http://github.com/capitaomorte/autopair