Re: emacs 24 and vnc not working

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: emacs 24 and vnc not working
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:27:00 -0500

On Aug 9, 2012, at 10:57 AM, arenson9@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:59:24 PM UTC-4, Perry Smith wrote:
>> Can we please bring back cut buffer support?  That is what I need.>
>

> I was able to copy from Win7 to an emacs window until I upgraded RealVNC. Now
> it fails and I don't know if it's because there's some setting on RealVNC I
> need to choose or something else is going on.

Which version of emacs?  I think cut buffers was removed in version 24 so any
version before 24 would be using cut buffers and new VNC's use selection.

I was encouraged by a friend to switch from the older vnc's to a purchased copy
of RealVNC for AIX.  $50 a year I believe.  I'm still using the trail key.

At this point, using the new (not open source) RealVNC server, I can copy and
paste (both directions) from a Mac app to Emacs 24.  I can not presently copy
from the old xterm to emacs 24 but I am pretty sure that is a setting that
needs to change.  I have not tried emacs 22 displayed in the new RealVNC
window.  I can try that tomorrow and report back.

But, should this be required?  Should users be required to go use non open
source code just to get their emacs to behave right?

I still would like to see cut buffers added back in to the standard
distribution.  I'm also wondering if the various boolean flags could not be
better auto configured by detecting the level of X11 server emacs is running on.

Thank you,
Perry