Re: efficient replacing – really faster compared to using the mouse?

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: efficient replacing – really faster compared to using the mouse?
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 20:14:41 +0200

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Ferdinand <Ferdinand.Gruebler@gmx.de> wrote:
> Now in TextMate I just switch to column-mode with my mouse (by pressing alt
> while selecting).
> Then I draw a rectangle with the mouse to select the number behind xyz of one
> This is fairly easy to me and quite quick.

There is a very similar thing in emacs which has not been mentionned
yet: cua-selection
You have to enable it first in your .emacs or via M-x
cua-selection-mode. Then, the default keybinding is C-RET. It will let
you make rectangle selection with visual feedback, etc. Look at the
help message in the minibuffer while using it.

That being said, I think I would simply replace xyz25 with xyz42 using
M-%. If you select (mark) a region before, the search&replace will
only look in the marked text.