How to use Quail Completion

From: Rasmus
Subject: How to use Quail Completion
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:10:05 +0100

In message-mode I use input method TeX (see C-h I TeX).  I use:

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (set-input-method "TeX")))

Strings like \"A has several completions. From the *Help* string:

    key  character(s)  [type a key (sequence) and select one from the list]
    -------- ------------
    \"A  Ӓ Ǟ Ä

When I type \"A and TAB I get the list "Ӓ Ǟ Ä", but I can't figure out
how to get from "Ӓ" to "Ä".  I have tried with C-u-TAB, C-TAB, M-TAB
etc.  I have tried to use the mouse to select an alternative completion,
but that doesn't work either.  I have tried without vanilla Emacs (emacs
-q).

So to summarize, how do I use "select one from the list"?  Or, how to
get from Ӓ to Ä?

Thanks,
Rasmus

--