Re: Load color-theme in init.el

From: Nathan LeClaire
Subject: Re: Load color-theme in init.el
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 08:26:40 -0500

I see.  Thanks for clarifying.  In my original e-mail I also forgot to mention that the advice of Peter Dyballa to use a .emacs for customization was the correct advice.  Thanks Peter.  I got the idea to use ~/.emacs/init.el from the Emacs Starter Kit ( https://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit/ ).  Presumably it is no substitute for .emacs.

Thanks again everyone,

Nathan

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, thanks for replying.  If anyone out there is still
> searching, I finally figured out that apparently in Emacs 24
> color-theme is (slightly?) deprecated.

No, color-theme is not at all deprecated.  It has never been part of GNU Emacs,
so GNU Emacs cannot deprecate it.  It is a third-party library, color-theme.el,
and it is still available AFAIK.

What is unfortunate is that GNU Emacs adopted a name, "custom theme", that is so
close to "color theme", which already has a certain following.

Every few weeks someone posts here with questions that involve confusion between
the two.

(Emacs has had "custom themes" for a long time, but until Emacs 24 they had
nothing to do with colors (as in "color theme").  It is the combination of Emacs
24 adopting something similar to what color-theme.el offers plus its inclusion
of that new feature in the grab bag called "custom themes" that seems to lead to
the confusion.)