$ in customized verbatim environment confuses Latex-mode

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: $ in customized verbatim environment confuses Latex-mode
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 23:28:47 +0200

Hi List,

I have a customized verbatim environment for Latex documents, lets call
it wideverbatim, and there is a small problem:

,---------------------
| \begin{wideverbatim}
|    $ foo
| \end{wideverbatim}
`---------------------

lets the buffer beyond the '$' sign look like in math mode (until
another 'free' $ is found) - no fontification anymore. However, compiling
and everything works fine, it seems only the fontification in the buffer
becomes distorted.

When I change it to

,-----------------
| \begin{verbatim}
|    $ foo
| \end{verbatim}
`-----------------

everything looks alright again. But when I try something like

,---------------------
| \begin{wideverbatim}
|    \$ foo
| \end{wideverbatim}

fontification returns to normal, but the \ backslash is printed in the
output.

Its not really a serious problem, since everything still works, but
maybe there is an easy remedy? It looks ugly and makes working in the
buffer more difficult.

--
cheers,
Thorsten