Re: Info documentation does not match Help documentation

From: Raffaele Ricciardi
Subject: Re: Info documentation does not match Help documentation
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 23:28:40 +0100

On 08/16/2012 10:40 PM, drain wrote:
> If you've altered the source code, or customized your inits extensively,
> you'll want help and info to spit out contrasting data.
>
> The highest-frequency place of conflict will likely be the key bindings. If > I lookup forward-char with help, I will be given my custom definition; but > if I look it up with info, I will be given the default. This discrepancy is
> useful: it reminds me what I have altered the program from and to.

Actually, I wasn't thinking about Info and Help drawing from the same source.
This cannot be done, as Help draws from the compiled code, whilst Info draws
from the manuals, and as your example shows, they must be kept separate anyway,
and the Info manual pristine.

I was thinking about both documentations being maintained in a single place.
Then, some sort of preprocessing would replicate it from one source to the
other.

Maybe things started the way they are now to save memory at runtime, and memory
may still be a scarce resource on some platforms supported by Emacs.