Re: "stuck" meta key problem / NX-client / Mac / PC / Linux

From: rrohbeck
Subject: Re: "stuck" meta key problem / NX-client / Mac / PC / Linux
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:41:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:35:02 AM UTC-7, Colin S. Miller wrote:
> David Rogoff wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I've got a strange one thats messing me up and I'm not sure where to look.
> <snip>
>  >
> > When I start a session/virtual desktop from home everything is fine.
> > However, when I disconnect and then reconnect to the session from work,
> > all my emacs windows think the meta key is being held down.  For
> > example, when I hit the up arrow, I get the message "M-up is
> > undefined".  It makes emacs unusable, requiring me to kill the editor
> > and start again, which sucks because I usually have a dozen buffers going.
> >
> <snip>
> > Any ideas?  Is there some way to un-stick meta?
> >
> > Thanks much!
> >
> > David
> >

> David,
> Did you use Meta-TAB to leave the VNC?
> In this situation, I've seen VNC programs
> send the meta keydown event to all the apps running
> inside it, but not the meta keyup event.
> Try tapping the meta key after you restore the connection.
>

> Running xkeycaps inside the VNC will show which key X thinks is pressed.
>
> HTH,
> Colin S. Miller
>
> --
> Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
> hostname to reply.

I just had the same issue after using Ctrl-Alt-E: The Alt-key up event was lost
and the cursor was stuck in the "hand" state. I was able to get rid of it by
switching to full screen (Ctrl-ALt-F) and hitting both Alt keys a couple times.
Soon Alt-Tab worked in the client and then I could also dismiss the Ctrl-Alt-E
notification.