Re: Single unrecognized character wrecks entire display

From: Alexandre Oberlin
Subject: Re: Single unrecognized character wrecks entire display
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:46:47 +0200

Thank you Peter for your detailed reply.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 17:18:36 +0200, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
When you set read-quoted-char-radix to 8 you can search for these "characters" in the text by:

        C-s C-q 3 5 1 RET

Nice command to find eventual other occurrences once you’ve found the culprit!

Hopefully! I think the problem is that your convertor (can't you use something reliable like iconv or recode?) makes mistakes.
iconv acts just the same. It tells me the 13th character is faulty (\351), while only the 40th is (\234)

\240 or A0 in hex exists as partner of another byte (with C2 it constructs NO-BREAK SPACE, with C3 it's LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE, …), \234 or 9C builds with C3 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS etc. I think what GNU Emacs wants to tell you and what I did not understand the first time is, that some characters obviously are not encoded correctly so that these "isolated" *bytes* are left over, they don't fit into regular 2- or 3- or even 4-byte codes of the UTF-8 encoding – and of course none of them is an ASCII character encoded by one byte (i.e., itself).
Clear.

Can you give us some more details of the original source and the convertor, and its working principle (command line options)?
It is the target document output of Trados Studio 2009 (well known translation software running on Windows only). The original is in English and has no such problems, but opens in emacs as raw text Mac.

How do you open it in GNU Emacs?
C-x C-f

How does it behave when you had launched GNU Emacs
        env LC_CTYPE=UTF-8 LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 emacs -Q &
Same.

I’m using GNU emacs on Linux, on Cygwin when I use Trados. The behavior is the same on that regard.

Cheers,

Alexandre