Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 02:05:02 +0200

Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:

> What I'd like is to be able to detach the shell process running in the
> buffer, like the GNU screen program allows me to do, and resume it
> later.  I tried the direct approach of simply running screen instead of
> bash in the shell buffer, but screen won't have that: it complains
> "Clear screen capability required" and exits immediately.  I scanned the
> various options to screen to see if there was a way to invoke it in a
> relatively feature-free mode that doesn't support multiple concurrent
> windows, but didn't see anything relevant.
>
> I could run screen inside an Emacs terminal buffer, but I prefer
> shell-mode in general for various reasons.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts?  I feel I could probably contrive
> something useful with enough time, but I wanted to see if any
> approximately equivalent solutions already exist.

Do the reverse.
Run emacs inside screen, not screen inside emacs.

You can do it after the fact:

- launch screen,
- in screen, use emacsclient -t to open an emacs frame in screen,
- close the GUI emacs frames with C-x 5 0
- detach screen
- log out

then you can:

- log in
- screen -r -x
- M-x make-frame-on-display RET :0.0 RET