Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:58:48 -0400

In article <mailman.7694.1346094589.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
> >> What I'd like is to be able to detach the shell process running in the
> >> buffer, like the GNU screen program allows me to do, and resume it
> >> later.
> >
> > Just leave your Emacs running and then connect to it with emacsclient
> > when you want to see the result.
> >

> >         Stefan
>
> Not a choice if you started emacs via e.g., ssh.
>
> I really miss this feature.  Turn running emacs into a daemon.  I'll bet it's
> not that hard to implement this.

Actually, it is. Just like you can't start a shell, do a bunch of things
in it, and then turn it into a screen session. You have to run the shell
within screen in the first place.

I suppose Emacs could do it by ALWAYS daemonizing itself when it starts
up, and doing an implicit emacsclient.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA