How to stop emacs from moving marks I set

From: larry . camilli
Subject: How to stop emacs from moving marks I set
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 09:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

I often like to set a mark (with C-@) and then move the cursor to another
location to, say, cut a section of text.

Under certain circumstances, when I use search (C-s) to move the cursor, and
then move the cursor a bit more (with, say arrow keys), emacs moves the mark to
where the search started ("Mark saved where search started").

1. Is there a way to get emacs to leave the mark where I explicitly set it?

2. Under what circumstances does emacs decide to ignore the mark that I set
explicitly and set its own mark?

3. By what logic does this editor allow the user to set a mark and then ignore
that setting?