Re: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: How to list, add, edit, save file on a remote server
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 14:18:30 +0200

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2012-09-01, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
>
>> How would you do that?
>> Via FTP? With Tramp? Would it be possible to run dired on the foreign
>> server?
>
> Tramp.
>
> To login to server from Emacs:
>
>   /ssh:user@host:/etc/  TAB  <-- completion work here, but you prompted for
>                                  password if don't setup RSA/DSA keys.
>
> To list file on server:
>
>   /ssh:user@host:/etc/ RET
>
> To open file from server:
>
>   /ssh:user@host:/home/user/.bashrc RET
>
> Also M-x find-dired, rgrep, lgrep, compile - properly work with TRAMP (run
> on remote server and show result in your Emacs).
>
> Read manual: C-h i S tramp RET RET

That looks easy enough, thanks.
And it would mean that there is no need for extra commands in my Emacs
mode (like M-x my-mode-list-list-wiki-files or so) because Tramp lets
you work on the server (almost) like on your machine - just open a file,
type M-x my-mode and start editing. Nice.

--
cheers,
Thorsten