Random fontification

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Random fontification
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 01:25:06 +0200

Hi List,

I'm almost done writing an Emacs major mode for editing files in
PicoLisp-Wiki (http://picolisp.com/5000/!wiki?Home) syntax, based on
*markdown.el* from ELPA. You can find the source code on Github
(https://github.com/tj64/picolisp-wiki-mode).

However, I witness really strange, almost random fontification
behaviour. Assume I load a file with PicoLisp-Wiki syntax and put it in
picolisp-wiki-mode. In the simplest case something like

,------------
| /{temporary}
`------------

in paragraph 1 is fontified as italic, while

,-----------
| /{internal}
`-----------

in paragraph 2 isn't, and there is really no way my regexp for /{italic}
would match one but not the other.

Now, when I insert another italic markup just before

,------------
| /{internal}
`------------

in paragraph 2, its fontified correctly as italic, *and* /{internal}
suddenly shows the correct fontification too.

Furthermore, there is a more or less random fontification of
preformatted blocks inside :{pre-formatted} markup. Some are fontified,
others not.

But when I copy the content of one of those that are not fontified into a
newly created :{} markup block, its immediatly fontified correctly.

Did I miss something fundamental with regards to fontification? I don't
experience similar behaviour in the many standard Emacs modes I use,
only in my own picolisp-wiki-mode.

Thanks for any hint.

--
cheers,