Re: Gnus: get emails from a remote server via SSH

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Gnus: get emails from a remote server via SSH
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:01:26 -0400

"." <nkwerk@gmail.com> writes:

> I have two machines: a server that uses Postfix and a client. (The
> latter doesn't have a static ip.)
>
> I'd like to use Gnus on the client to read / send / store emails.
> Looks like that the easiest (and secure) way to do this is to use SSH.
> There is a related guide [1], but I know neither Emacs Lisp nor sh.

Nor should you need to. The advice there, which I would reiterate, is to
use IMAP (or even POP) if you can.

Getmail over ssh can be made to work, but it's really a last-ditch
approach, not something anybody would call "easy."

> I also want emails to be automatically deleted from the server after
> the synchronization.
>
> Could you help me with this?
> (Please provide code if possible.)
>
> My server-side configuration can be found here [2].

I don't think so. That configuration is for running Gnus on the same
machine that the files are on. That's certainly the easiest thing to set
up (you just ssh to the server and run your Gnus there), but it's not
what you asked for.

There are lots of options that might help (fetchmail is one that occurs
to me), but we don't know enough about your specific situation to sort
through them.

One possible (and very common) scenario that may describe your situation
is a home LAN, with the mail coming into the one machine with a static
IP address and being read from machines without static addresses. I do
this myself, with IMAP running on the server and no special
authentication needed for sending mail (because it's a private
network). Another scenario would be you trying to read work mail from
home, which would offer a different set of challenges.

Good luck.