warm fuzzy confirmation of mail delivery in sendmail.el

From: James Powell
Subject: warm fuzzy confirmation of mail delivery in sendmail.el
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:59:59 -0700

Is there any way to build upon sendmail's mail-archive-file-name,
which FCCs sent messages, to append SMTP mail delivery headers such as
Received:, Authentication-Results:, Received-SPF: and the like?

For example, when I send mail through a webmail application, the "Sent
Messages" folder
in the webmail application has lines like this for each sent message:

(authenticated bits=0)
by sluizer.oit.pdx.edu (8.13.8/8.13.1) with ESMTP id q7TLZXZg015937
(version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA bits=128 verify=NOT);

Those header lines are reassuring because otherwise I have to watch
very carefully to make sure I am really sending the messages and not
missing an SMTP error.

yours truly,
  James P.

--